AGF Share the Road Tour Fundraiser plus Jacko's Jackpot!!!
Amy Gillett Share the Road Tour Fundraiser
On Sunday 28th Sept at Nundah we supported the Amy Gillett Foundation's 'Share the Road Tour 2014'. HPRW member Nikolina Orlic is riding in this event and raising funds. $5 from every entry went towards this charity and a total of $910 was raised.
Thanks also to Neil Jackson from Neil Jackson Plumbing who donated an extra $250 in prize money to attract more riders.
Here's a word from Nikolina about why she is doing this.
A little about the AGF and why I am supporting this charity is below.
• In 2005 Amy Gillett died in a tragic car accident while training on her bike
• The Amy Gillett foundation was established to promote safety and awareness for both motorists and cyclists
• I too have experience death of friends while out riding so the foundation means a lot to me personally being a cyclist myself and commuting each day to work
• The AGF Share the Road Tour 2014 – we ride form Brisbane and Airlie Beach to promote the new trial laws at schools along the way (8-15 November). We ride 1200 km in 6 days.
Road Death Statistics
• In 2013 there were 1193 deaths on the roads in Australia
• 14 were cyclist deaths
New Trial Queensland Laws
• On 7 April 2014 the Queensland Parliamentary Committee introduced a 2 year trial of new laws regarding minimum overtaking distances between motorists and cyclists
• (1m – 60km/h or less) (1.5m over 60km/h)
• Motorists are permitted to cross solid lines to pass cyclists when safe to do so
• Penalties for running red lights and stop signs are equal for motorists and cyclists
Recent Cyclist death on Brisbane Roads
• On 11/9/2014 in Brisbane you may have heard a 22year student cyclist died at Woolloongabba after a collision with a truck while riding her bike.
• This was my motivation and drive to support the AGF and do my best to make the roads a safer place.
• I didn’t know this girl personally but the news struck a heart string and was my motivation to do the AGF Share the Road Tour
Please help me help make the roads a safer place for both cyclists and motorists.
Thank you so much for your support.
Gold for Brittany at the Youth Olympics
Brittany Dutton has won the gold medal in Triathlon at the Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China.
In hot and humid Nanjing, Dutton made her decisive break on the fourth and final lap of the 20km bike course and quickly put 20 seconds on the rest of the field. Despite a fast finish from the USA’s Stephanie Jenks, Dutton stayed strong and held on to win the first gold medal of the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games.
“It’s awesome, I still can’t believe it,” Dutton said. “Throughout the bike I could see maybe I might be able to get away so I tried it and I got away. On the run I just had to hold my lead and it worked.
“I have strong cycling background so I thought I would give it a go, had nothing to lose and I stayed away.”
Photos courtesy of Maddison and Courtney Dutton
Full report http://www.triathlon.org/news/article/nanjing_2014_youth_olympic_games_review
2014 State ITT Results
Results for the 2014 Queensland Elite, Under 19 & Masters Individual Time Trial & Hand-cycle Road Race Championships are HERE
Congratulations to all HPRW riders who competed. Our members did us proud coming away with many medals. Here are shots shots courtesy of Veloshotz.